February 10 – Jointly led field trip by Marin CNPS and Mycological Society of Marin County
MycoMarin’s own Kevin Sadlier will co-lead this field trip!
Summary of the details for this foray:
Date: Sunday, February 10
Place: Point Reyes
Time: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Meeting Place: In the parking lot across the street from the Bear Valley Visitor’s Center
We will meet at the parking lot in front of the Visitor’s Center in Bear Valley at 10 a.m., sign a liability release, and disperse to collect. If your interest is only botanical, there will be a person from the Native Plant Society leading a group. We will meet again at 1:30 at the picnic area where your mushrooms will be identified to the best of our abilities. To make sure we can identify your mushrooms:
1. Collect only mushrooms in good condition. Mushrooms that are rotted or dry are almost never identifiable.
2. When collecting for identification, use a knife and pry the mushroom out of the earth completely. The bottom, stem (stipe), top of the mushroom, as well as the scent and other identifying characteristics, are crucial to a successful identification.
2. Be aware where you have collected your mushrooms. If possible, write down where and what trees or bushes were in the immediate area.
3. Pick only one specimen of the mushroom unless it is in different stages, in which case pick one young and one old specimen of the mushroom.
4. Place your mushrooms inside a paper bag or wax paper. This will protect them.
5. Be mindful of the woods. If you pick a mushroom to look at, do not simply discard. Place them in the same place and in the same position you found it.
What to Bring:
-Small basket or paper bag to collect specimens
-Mushroom knife or any other implement that will allow you to dig the mushrooms
-Wax bags or wax paper
-Your lunch and beverage
What not to Bring:
-Friends or relatives who have not signed up for this foray
-Dogs, unless on a leash.
Bring your mushroom identification books and any mushroom collecting tools orbaskets you might have!
RSVP to Finola Diaz: Finoladiaz@hotmail.com (currently this field trip is full — to be put on the waiting list, please contact Finola).